Thursday, June 26, 2014

How to Prevent Varicose Veins as a Nurse & Nursing Student

Varicose veins run in my family, so when I started nursing school I knew I was entering a high risk occupation that would give me varicose veins if I did not try to prevent them. I prevent varicose veins and tiredness in my legs by wearing compression stockings. They are the greatest thing ever invented!

As a nurse and nursing student you are on your feet many, many hours. I can remember sometimes being on my feet 8 hours straight without sitting down (busy day and didn't get lunch until 3:00), and if I didn't have on my compression stockings I probably wouldn't have been able to make it through the rest of my shift.

However, before I bought my compression stockings I remember wondering what the difference was between TED hose and compression stockings. I would hear other nurses say they were wearing TED hoses. But I have found out that people mistakenly  call compression stockings TED hoses. BUT there is a big difference between the two.

Here is the difference between the two:




So as a nurse you will want to buy compression stockings for nurses that have a compression rating 15-20 mmHG.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment