Friday, May 30, 2014

Tips on How to Study for HESI Exams & NCLEX-RN

One of the things I dreaded and feared the most during nursing school was nursing proficiency exams. At my nursing school I was required to take the HESI proficiency exams. I had to take the entrance HESI exam called the HESI A2, then during my Junior year I had to take the Mid-Curricular HESI, and before I got to graduate I had to pass the exit HESI exam. The purpose of these exams was to prepare me for the big exam which is the licensing exam called NCLEX-RN.

The HESI proficiency exams are a lot like the ATIs exams which is what other nursing schools require. It really is your nursing school's preference on what they require students to take. My school liked HESI.

Looking back (can't really believe I am saying this) I think those pesky HESI exams helped me pass the NCLEX-RN exam first try and they seriously did prepare me for it. But I still hated taking them.

I wanted to write this post to help give you some tips on if you have to take the HESI exams, especially since I have been there and done it.

My Study Guide for HESI & NCLEX

On my website I have a great study guide/log I created that tells you how I studied for my exit HESI exam and NCLEX-RN which you can find here: "NCLEX-RN study guide". The study guide includes what books I used to prepare for the exams, daily log of what I studied each day, and what I ended up scoring on the exams. Also on my site use the search bar and you will find many resources for HESI and NCLEX.  I have to say the study guide I created is very useful for the nursing student having to prepare for HESI and NCLEX-RN.


Tips on How to Prepare for the HESI & NCLEX

  • Buy a study guide!! I know spending money stinks but this is an investment. For HESI buy the company's book they make. They have three different ones for each exam (HESI A2, HESI Mid-curricular, exit HESI). For NCLEX buy the Saunders Comprehensive review guide (it comes with tons of practice questions). Some people use Kaplan (I didn't) but I have also heard good things about them too. However, Saunders worked for me!
  • Do practice questions over & over! Don't memorize the answer but get use to how to answer the question. HESI & NCLEX questions are not your regular fact based questions....they are critical thinking questions. Also practice select all apply and diagram questions a lot because HESI and NCLEX are starting to use these questions a lot more. 
  • Start studying months in advance! I took my HESI in March and NCLEX in June. I started studying in December during the week and took weekends off usually. 
If you prepare for these exams you will pass and hopefully my tips and study guide will help you out!

Sarah :-)




5 comments:

  1. Nice blog, for those students who wants to build their careers as nurses, the HESI exam is the most important hurdle to be cleared prior to completing this degree. Many people assume the HESI exam to be an acid test. If you are planning to appear for the HESI exam this year, you should consider these tips in order to clear it at the first attempt itself:
    • Prepare well in advance!
    • Be updated with the syllabus
    • Take mock tests
    • Strategies
    • Give yourself a break
    Yourbestgrade is one of the best online platforms with high quality Hesi Study Guid for those who want to build careers as nursing. They offer all those facilities which are mention above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such wonderful information!In my opinion, Keep a healthy life by consuming healthy food and doing exercise regularly is the best healthy formula.

    Health Jobs Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you preparx for any nclex exams?
    LPN Or RN
    Do you need an authorisation to test?
    No need to worry Mr Donald is ur solution
    DM him +1(321)7547564

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. Virtual NCLEX Tutor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing wonderful info, Found your post interesting, can not wait to see more from you. Good luck for upcoming post!!! You can also read more from HESI A2 Practice Test

    ReplyDelete