Wednesday, May 28, 2014

How to Put on Sterile Gloves for Nursing Students

I remember one of the things that I had such difficultly learning in nursing school was on putting on sterile gloves. Looking back at it, it was so silly I had trouble with it. But you know how there are some things in life that look so easy when others do it but when you try yourself you figure out it is actually pretty tough.

I think of the things that "tripped" me up while putting on sterile gloves was trying to keep my hand with the sterile glove on "sterile" while I put the other sterile glove on the other hand.

I remember everyone in my nursing class breezing right through it during our clinical test of having to put them on in front of the instructor but I had trouble grasping it. I practiced over and over and finally I got it but it took me some work. The key to learning how to put on sterile gloves is PRACTICE!



As a nurse you will use sterile gloves for procedures such as foley catheter insertion, trach suctioning, wound care, central line & PICC Line dressing changes, subcutaneous port access etc. So it is important you are really good at putting on sterile gloves.

My tips for putting on sterile gloves:

Take your time! Don't get in a rush because if you do you will mess up.

Put the first sterile glove on your dominant hand first. For example if you are right handed put that glove on first.

Always get the correct size of sterile glove. Trust me on this one! If the glove is too large or small for your hand you will have difficulty keeping your gloves sterile while putting them on.

Here is a great video on how to put on sterile gloves.

Sarah :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment